Monday, March 8, 2010

Rita the Flower Girl



At Nina Ricci this season, Peter Copping collaborated with Rita Saardi, a designer I've loved for her unabashed romance in her bow-decked, flower-based dresses. Fortunately, Copping loved it too and asked her to work on the floral decorations that adorned the bust, the hips and a spectacular flowing skirt. She speaks about the collaboration and the sheer excitement of it all in her blog, "Rita's Mood And Inspiration". It's pretty much the stuff of fairytales...
I'll let Rita do the talking here:

'... So I ended up with this beautiful palette of colors... the "bouquets" were taking shape in front of me and I honestly fell in love with these... the color palette from the Nina Ricci collection was so beautiful, unfortunately quiet often when you see the pictures of a catwalk on Style.com or other sites they loose a lot of details and sometimes a lot of colors... In the belts for example I even used flowers in velour, taffetas and a hand wrinkled fabric that I shaped myself all in different colors so the result was really a color and texture explosion... something you loose in a picture of a catwalk... After several days of cutting meters and meters of silk chiffon, organza, tulle, ribbons and organdy, all my flowers for Nina Riccis beautiful "Winter Garden" were ready I could finally join the team in the studio and the best part of the collaboration started there... 4 days before the show...'